The Lead UI Programmer role will involve architecting and managing the implementation and maintenance of all the UI code including all menus and the in-game HUD. They will be responsible for keeping the UI code/BP’s quality and performance high and setting coding standards for the UI code team to follow.
They will also be involved in communicating the needs of the UI team to the Tools and Engine team.
The UI department also contains web development as part of its remit, so the Lead UI programmer will also oversee the web developers who will be working on UI for internal tools, internal websites and supporting external player facing websites also.
Strong communication skills will be paramount to interact effectively with a wide group of discipline experts and the other leads on the project, and to maintain good working relationships with the UI insource/outsource/co-development partners.
The game is being developed in Unreal 4 using UMG, by a small UI team so this role would be hands on and therefore a lot of experience in UMG and UE4 would be of great benefit.
This position is flexible/hybrid and reports to the Lead Gameplay Programmer.
What will you do?
- Managing and supporting direct reports
- Hiring Manager
- Advising PMs on UI planning and resource management
- Career development/1-2-1s
- Performance assessment
- Create performant UI for the game
- Work with UI Tech Design and Art on UI design
- Implement fast prototypes in BP
- Write final production quality UI in C++
- Document and maintain UI systems
- Overseeing UI co-dev partners
- Maintain good working relationship with partners
- Review code quality/programmer suitability
- Overseeing the web development team
- Input on UI improvements on internal tooling
- Advising on implementation solutions for internal web sites
What are we looking for?
- Proven strong programming experience in the gaming industry
- Strong familiarity with Unreal 4 toolchains, especially UMG
- Strong practical experience of C++
- Loves working in small, cross-disciplined feature teams
- Passionate about mentoring technical talent
- Great verbal and written communication skills in English
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Experience working with highly distributed teams
- Experience operating a live free-to-play game service
- Experience in web development