Lead Technical Designer
Based in Guildford, DPS Games is looking for a Lead Technical Designer to assist in the creation of worlds in the next big free-to-play PC title from Wargaming, the company that brought us World of Tanks and one of the strongest free-to-play PC game companies in the world. In this role, you will help to inspire and create gameplay for a new & exciting project aimed at a western audience.
As Lead Technical Designer, you will be responsible for ensuring features are designed and implemented in ways that are efficient, stable, and flexible. You will establish and enforce best practices for implementation across the design team. You will advise and review the designs of features to avoid future implementation issues. You will work with other disciplines to solve technical and implementation problems. You will help advance the technical knowledge and skill of the design team.
In this position you will be working within a multidisciplinary team of developers in a global community and will have the ability to both share your hard-earned knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
You will need to possess excellent verbal and written skills and be able to both take critique and give feedback to your team, external partners, and participate in group discussions on both a developer & managerial level.
We are looking for someone with a positive attitude who can integrate themselves seamlessly into our team & studio culture, has a strong knowledge of Unreal and tools, and the ability to work with multiple teams to facilitate proper implementation of features.
The role reports to Design Director.
What will you do?
- In conjunction with the Design Director, uphold best practices for use of UE4 and blueprints
- Mentor and lead the tech design team
- Be a key participant in the hiring process for technical designers
- Establish and maintain good working practices
- Work closely with lead across disciplines
- Help identify and solve implementation obstacles for the design team
- Document tech design decisions clearly and communicate to key stakeholders and external studios
What are we looking for?
- Proven experience as a Design Lead, across multiple products
- Live game and/or free-to-play experience
- An excellent understanding of UE4 including blueprints and replication
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- Understanding of optimization and technical limitations
- Excellent knowledge of game design and game development concepts
- Ability to work within restrictions to solve problems as they occur
- Actively contribute to growth of the studio. Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Knowledge of programming languages such as C++ and C#
- Experience designing and creating designer tools
- Experience working with vehicle-based combat
- Have experience working with multiple studios across different time zones