Senior / Environment Artist
DPS Games is looking for an exceptionally skilled 3D Environment Artist or Senior Environment Artist to assist in the creation of worlds in the next big free-to-play PC title from Wargaming, the company that brought us World of Tanks and one of the strongest free-to-play PC game companies in the world.
In this role, you will help to inspire and create environments & gameplay assets for a new & exciting project aimed at a western audience. The perfect candidate will be passionate about hard surface & organic 3d art, highly conceptual, have a strong large-scale environment background, which includes modular construction, terrain, vegetation, lighting and optimisation.
You’ll be a hardworking self-motivated team player, who is able to work closely with the Lead Environment Artist and the Art Director to create & be responsible for large sections of the game.
You’ll also possess excellent verbal and written skills, being able to both take critique and give feedback to external partners, as well as participate in group discussions.
In this position you will be working within a multidisciplinary team of developers, in a global community and will have the ability to both share your hard-earned knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
We are looking for someone with a good sense of humour who can integrate themselves seamlessly into our team & studio culture.
This role will report to the Lead Environment Artist/ Art Director and be based in our Guildford studio.
What will you do?
- Collaborate with the Art Leads, designers, programmers on object specifications and deliveries
- Translate concept and reference artwork into 3D game assets as required, setting a quality bar for other artists to follow
- Help design, construct, document and enforce pipeline procedures to deliver competitive, cutting edge assets. Prototype new techniques and approaches
- Create high-poly and low-poly models and accompanying texture sets that use advanced shaders
What are we looking for?
- Proven production art experience in the gaming industry
- At least 2 published games
- Significant Unreal 4 development experience with at least one released title
- A great eye for detail, natural flair & a strong understanding of composition & colour theory
- Excellent verbal and written skills, and be able to both take critique and give feedback internally and externally in a professional manner
- Proven ability to create high-poly and low-poly models and textures
- Must have a strong understanding of PBR shader development and lighting
- Solid knowledge of 3ds Max/Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush, and other 2D/3D applications
- A higher understanding of form, shape, structure and silhouette
- Diligence with individual and team tasks, adherence to schedule and budget
- Organisational skills with a focus on optimization and asset management
What additional skills will help you out?
- Understanding of architecture & structure
- Traditional art skills (drawing, painting, sculpting, photography)
- Concept skills – Ability to visualize and concept environments and props
- Experience with Substance Designer and Painter
- BA in art or related field or equivalent experience
- Samples of your work displaying clean High Poly to Low Poly bakes, strong understanding of material variation & photo realistic texturing
Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Delivering legendary games since 1998, Wargaming has grown to become one of the leaders in the free-to-play MMO gaming industry with 4500+ employees and more than 20 offices globally. Over 200 million players enjoy Wargaming’s titles across all major gaming platforms, including the massively popular World of Tanks and World of Warships.
DPS Games is a Wargaming Company and working in our company means always having interesting challenges and gaining valuable experience while working with top-class experts.
Take your place among our passionate and experienced team and bring out the best in yourself at Wargaming!